In 1948, two first cousins, Jack Hemmer and Tom Mirgon, formed a partnership to create a restaurant business specializing in homemade ice cream products. With only four tables and counter seating for seven, they opened a small business on Linden Avenue in Zanesville , Ohio.
Jack Hemmer Ice Cream soon outgrew its original location, and in October 1950 they moved their restaurant to its present location at 532 McIntire Ave.
In 1953, Tom bought Jack's interest in the business, leaving his own career with the Pure Oil Company, to own and operate the restaurant full-time. In 1957 it became known as Tom's Ice Cream Bowl.
Tom contributed the success of his business to the quality and generous portions of food and ice cream he served, to the personal customer service of his past and present employees, and to all those special people who frequented his restaurant.
On April 1, 1984, Tom retired at the age of 69 and sold Tom's Ice Cream Bowl to Bill Sullivan (pictured), his former manager.
Bill has pledged to maintain the fine quality, cleanliness and excellent service created by Tom; and as a tribute to the many years of Tom's hard work, to never change the name of Tom's Ice Cream Bowl.